Tips for Garage Sales:
• Check to see if your homeowners association has rules about conducting a sale. Some communities do not allow you to have a sale of any type.
• Call your local village hall or municipal center and inquire if there are permitting requirements.
• Find out if your homeowners coverage covers liability for injuries a consumer might sustain while on your property.
• Consider a block sale. Ask your neighbors if they are interested in having a sale of their own. This will help keep you motivated, it is fun to share ideas and the potential for a larger turn out is far greater.
• Check to see if your community has a website where you can post your ideas.
• Before hanging signs, be certain your city or town allows you to do so.
• Try to round up some help for the day of the sale. It is difficult to conduct a sale on your own.
• Start saving shopping bags, plastic grocery bags and boxes.